Energy Performance Certificate


Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:





You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent. In Scotland, you must display the EPC somewhere in the property, eg in the meter cupboard or next to the boiler.


An EPC contains:

Information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs

Recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

The person selling the house, the landlord or the letting agent must show you the EPC if you’re buying or renting.


Buildings that don’t need an EPC:

Places of worship

Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years

Stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 square meters

Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy

Some buildings that are due to be demolished

Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy

Listed buildings - you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character

Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year


You can be fined if you don’t get an EPC when you need one.


T & L Inventory Services | United Kingdom | | 0330 606 1487 / 07482 179742
  • Facebook
  • Twitter - Black Circle